Manage episode 371707106 series 2670705
This is a follow-up episode to an episode I recorded a few years ago based on a blog post I had written. This is the original post. Thank you for being here!
I wrote an article a few months ago with a top-ten list of advice I’d give to my twenty-something self based on what I know now. I turned it into an 8 minute podcast episode for women of all ages! So, I’d love to know — what advice would you give your 20-something self? This is a great episode to share with your daughter going off to college or a twenty-something woman in your life…really for any woman as I think my 85 year old self would be giving me this same advice! ;-
How is life treating you? I’ve been thinking of you and thought I’d send a note to remind you of a few key things to make your life’s journey a little smoother.
HERE’S MY TOP TEN LIST:
- Love yourself. This is the key to everything good in your life. It may sound over simplistic but the actual practice of self-love is a lifetime practice. You came from love and are an expression of love. So remember to be loving to yourself every day — no matter what. Promise? When those “inner voices” come in with doubt to tell you that you aren’t enough, tell them firmly they are mistaken. You ARE worthy of a magnificent, healthy, and abundant life! When you know that to be true, you only allow what’s in your highest good to come into your life. That’s what we all deserve.
- Make pleasure a priority. Pursue the things that light YOU up! Don’t put your passions and interests to the side. They are your roadmap to happiness. You deserve to be happy, and only you know how to make that happen…so make it happen. Don’t get distracted by other people’s agendas or how they want you to spend your time.
- Stand firmly in who you are like a wise old tree with its deep roots. The world will always have an opinion about what you should be and how you should see yourself, so remember this is your one shot at life and you don’t have time to waste people pleasing and playing small.
- Don’t settle for a partner who doesn’t honor you. When you are in a relationship, it isn’t a daily roller coaster ride. You don’t have to question whether the one you love is committed to the relationship, because you just know. It doesn’t mean that you don’t have to work on your relationship (all great love requires communication and commitment). It does mean that if your partner isn’t treating you with the respect you deserve, then it’s time to move on. Great love does exist! This goes for friendships too. Let go of the toxic people in your life and surround yourself with a tribe of people who love you as you are.
- Life has its seasons. Sometimes we are in a season where everything flows, and other times it is as if the universe wants to see how much you can handle. Ride the waves with grace knowing there will always be a peaceful shore ready to greet you in time — so keep the faith!
- Find joy in the little things. Look for the humor in life and laugh every day just like when you were a little girl. Let your inner child illuminate your path.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. At times we need a helping hand, and it takes strength to admit when we don’t have the answers and need guidance or a shoulder to lean on.
- Remember that you are here for a special reason. You have unique gifts that you are meant to share. You are living your “purpose”when you use those special talents in a way that brings you joy. There are no rules about how to express your gifts. Think about being in service and how you can help and doors will open. Pursue what’s whispering in your heart. You want to look back on your life and think, “YESSSS, I lived an awesome life!”
- Don’t wait for permission to go for your dreams and desires. Most people don’t understand the vision you have for your life, so you have to trust in yourself and your inner knowing and take that first step. Dream big and often! It feels like you have all of the time in the world, but you don’t. Make your dreams a priority and take inspired action every day. You’ll thank me for this one later. 😉
- Appreciate your beauty. Be grateful for your youth, your skin, your body, and your mind. Treat your body with respect – and nourish it. When you look back you’ll realize just how beautiful you were, so don’t wait twenty years to recognize the goddess that you are today.
Enjoy each day, stay present, and be grateful for this gift of life and the gift of you.
Xoxo, Your 40-Something Self
Thank you so much for listening! Please share today’s show with a friend.